[Ely Events] Etheldreda Day

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Mon May 21 10:28:41 GMT 2007

Celebrating Ely

The Etheldreda Day Procession

Saturday 23 June 2007, 10.30am

Starts 10.30am in Jubilee Gardens.
Finishes 12.00 noon in the Cathedral.

Ely owes its modern status as a Cathedral City to Etheldreda, a Saxon
Princess, who founded a monastery for men and women here in 673AD.

We will be re-enacting her story with drama and music on the
anniversary of her death, beginning in Jubilee Gardens with
Etheldreda arriving in Ely by boat, and then walking up through
Cherry Hill to the Cathedral to gather around her shrine.

Discover:

How Etheldreda was first given the Isle of Ely
How she came to marry the Prince of Northumbria
How she left her husband to begin the monastery in Ely
What extraordinary miracles happened to her on the way
About her brief rule of the monastery here
How people flocked to her Shrine after her death
Dress up in medieval clothes and/or just enjoy the action.

A great event for all the family!

Come and join the procession as we celebrate the beginnings of the
story of the Capital City of Fenland!

More information from Alan Hargrave tel 01353 660304
a.hargrave at cathedral.ely.anglican.org

Download colour poster from
http://ely.anglican.org/publicity/etheldreda-day/poster.pdf