[Ely Events] Environment Group for 26 May

Nigel Cooper n.cooper at anglia.ac.uk
Wed May 2 18:11:57 GMT 2007

Ely Diocesan Environment Group

·   Visit to RSPB Lakenheath Fen

·    Sat 26 May 2007

·    2.30 to about 5

Following our creation-creativity day last year, we are holding a smaller scale event this year in
the east of the diocese (or just over the border, actually). We shall begin with a guided walk
around the reserve, then take time just to 'be' there before ending with a short open-air service.

Lakenheath Fen is important for its Golden Orioles and for the work to develop a first-rate wetland
habitat. You can find out more about the reserve at
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l/lakenheathfen/work.asp. We might hope to see Marsh Harriers,
Hobbys, Bearded Tits and several warblers. It is also good for wetland plants.

Directions by road: From Lakenheath village, travel north on B1112 for about 2 miles (3.2 km). Go
over the level crossing and after 200 m, turn left into reserve entrance. From Hockwold village,
travel south on B1112 for nearly 1 mile (1.6 km), go over the river bridge and after 200 m, turn
right into reserve entrance. Stations nearby are Brandon and Lakenheath. It may be possible to
arrange lifts. Meet in the car park at 2.30.

The reserve is free to enter, but the RSPB will be charging us for showing us round. The charge
awaits confirmation, but we are expecting it to be £1-50 members and £3-00 non members. Accompanied
children are welcome, but no dogs please. Bring binoculars if you have them.

The RSPB want an idea of our numbers, so please could you book with Nigel Cooper, preferably by
email on n.cooper at anglia.ac.uk, or, if necessary, by phone 0845 196 2398. Please also let Nigel know
if you would like to join our email list.

Our next event is the Churchyard Training Day on 23 June - details from Nigel.