[Ely Announce] From Michael Goater (Bishop's Adviser for Emergency Planning)

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 2 21:56:45 GMT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Bishop Anthony has received the promised further guidance from the Archbishops of Canterbury and York, which is reproduced for you below, and which, for the reasons given in the Archbishops' communiqué, Bishop Anthony unequivocally recommends to you as his counsel for our continued practice in the diocese.  The Archbishops' advice, which  accords fully with our diocesan policy (see the diocesan website), will bring little solace to those who are finding the present circumstance so difficult, but it will not be unexpected.   Vigilance and patience remain the watchwords, with responsible practice in what is still a fast-changing situation, because of our responsibility to take public health considerations seriously.  This, many would say, is a scriptural imperative.  The Archbishops have promised to review their guidance in a month's time.

Michael Goater

Bishop's Adviser for Emergency Planning

Text of the Archbishops' communiqué

30th October 2009

SWINE FLU : STATEMENT FROM THE ARCHBISHOPS TO THE COLLEGE

OF BISHOPS

Following our statement in September this year, we have reviewed the situation in light of the latest advice from the Department of Health

Their latest update, issued last night, shows that the number of new cases has risen.  There were 78,000 new cases in England this week with 751 people currently hospitalised. The additional information now available confirms earlier guidance that children under 16 are significantly more susceptible to the virus, and up to 30% may fall ill during this second wave. Deaths worldwide have increased by 12% this week. The Health Protection Agency (HPA) believes that about 520,000 people have been infected by swine flu in England since the outbreak of the pandemic.

The vaccination programme in this country has started this week.  The plan is to offer it to all at risk groups by the end of November.

In the light of this, our recommendation, made on 22nd July 2009 to those presiding at Holy Communion in parishes and dioceses, remains unchanged.

It remains important

a)         to encourage everyone to recognise that the Church has a responsibility to take public health considerations seriously and

b)         to ensure communication around the Church is good so that we don't appear at sixes and sevens, and

c)         to remember that responsible practice in these areas is not primarily about protecting ourselves but about avoiding transmitting infection unwittingly to others.

In the light of this rapidly changing situation, we do not believe this is the time to issue fresh advice.  We are keeping in regular contact with the Department of Health and will continue to consider all relevant information.

We will review our own advice in a month's time. Until then, we would encourage you to continue to show patience and to pray for all those affected.

    +  Rowan Cantuar                                                                +  Sentamu Ebor