[Ely Announce] Bishop's Advisor for Music appointed

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 29 18:47:37 GMT 2007

Jan Payne has been appointed Bishop's Adviser for Music by Bishop Anthony.

The Dean and Chapter have also appointed Jan as Licensed Lay Minister at Ely Cathedral. The centuries old office, formerly known as a Reader, is open to both men and women, but she will become the first woman to hold this post at the Cathedral.

She will be commissioned and licensed by Bishop John at Choral Evensong on Monday, 12 November 2007 at 5.30 pm.

Jan is a professional music teacher and examiner.  Last year, she became the Director of the Ely Cathedral Octagon Singers (ECOS), the newly formed choir of sixty adults which provides some of the musical support for services when the Cathedral choir are on leave.  She also serves as Music Ministry Co-ordinator on the Accredited Lay Ministers training programme.

She will continue with her professional work alongside her new appointments, which are honorary posts.

"There is a long history of musical excellence in the Diocese, which is reflected in our Cathedral music," said Bishop Anthony.  "I am delighted that Jan is able to take up these two posts as she has already contributed so much."

"This is a time when we are all being challenged to think again about the quality and type of worship we offer in our churches of which music is an integral part," said Jan.  "The task of getting quality, live music back into all our churches is an exciting prospect.

"I am very much looking forward to working with ministers and congregations, to help them explore new initiatives and opportunities, as well as uphold and sustain established good practice and tradition."