[Ely Announce] Bishop John Inge appointed Bishop of Worcester

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 10 07:59:51 GMT 2007

Bishop John to become Bishop of Worcester

10 Downing Street has announced today (9.00 am Tuesday July 10th 2007) that the Rt Revd Dr John Inge , currently Bishop of Huntingdon, has been appointed by Her Majesty the Queen as the new Bishop of Worcester.

Bishop John, who previously served in the Diocese of Newcastle, came to the Ely Diocese in 1996. He served as a Residentiary Canon of Ely Cathedral from 1996 to 2003, and was consecrated as the Bishop of Huntingdon on 9th October 2003.

'It is marvellous news that Bishop John is to serve as the Bishop of Worcester,' said Bishop Anthony.  'His many gifts and talents will be greatly appreciated in that Diocese, and in the life of the wider Church.

'However, it is very sad that we shall lose the considerable contribution that Bishop John has made to the life of this Diocese in the last eleven years. He has served here with energy, dedication and wisdom, and his ministry has been greatly appreciated by the parishes and by the clergy. He is known as an engaging preacher and a sensitive pastor.'

In addition to his responsibilities within the Diocese, Bishop John has been a strong supporter of Common Purpose (an international leadership organisation that runs programmes for leaders of all ages, sectors and backgrounds). He has a keen interest in international affairs and has fostered links both with Zanzibar in Africa and Vellore in India whilst in the Diocese.

He was one of the finalists in the Michael Ramsey Prize for Theological Writing in 2005. His publications include A Christian Theology of Place (Ashgate, 2003) and Living Love: In Conversation with the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency (Inspire, 2007).

'It will be a great wrench to leave Ely after eleven extremely happy years here,' said Bishop John.  'Ely is a wonderful diocese in which I have made very many friends and a big part of my heart will always remain here.

'However, I was ordained to serve the Church wherever I was called and it is a great honour to have been asked to become Bishop of Worcester. All the good things that I have seen done in the name of Christ here encourages me to go forward in faith and hope.  I ask for everyone's prayers for all that lies ahead. There will be time to say farewell and thank you to everyone here in due course but I would like to record now my heartfelt thanks to Bishop Anthony for all his inspiration and support. He is a wonderful colleague and friend.'

Bishop John is married to Denise, a writer and distinguished authority on the 17th-century poet Thomas Traherne. They have two children, Eleanor (8) and Olivia (3). He is a keen cyclist and swimmer. He enjoys reading, drama, music, and travel.

He will continue in this Diocese until December and he and the family will move to Worcester around Christmas. They will be formally welcomed in the Diocese of Worcester sometime in the New Year.

0753