[Ely Events] School Chaplaincy Pilot Scheme

Steve Whyatt SteveW at scriptureunion.org.uk
Fri Sep 4 14:21:23 GMT 2009

Hi Simon, if appropriate to the events list could the following be
circulated

Steve

School Chaplaincy Pilot Scheme

Since returning from Queensland Australia where I spent a year working
with and alongside chaplains in state schools I have been looking with
Scripture Union (SU England and Wales) at the current chaplaincy scene
in the UK with a particular focus on England. I won't go into detail
here suffice to say we have reached a point where we are looking to run
a two term pilot scheme from January 2010.

The basic premise is that the scheme would work best where there is
already a healthy working relationship between a school and a 'funded'
worker (i.e. Youth/Schools/Children's/Clergy worker) and a desire to
strengthen/develop what already exists.

It's important to emphasise this is not a funded position (some possible
funding is being built into the scheme should the pilot prove
successful) and why it would suit an already church/trust employed
person.

It is not an SU owned scheme in that the running and organisation will
be the role of local church/churches/trust. SU provide the framework,
support, etc. etc.

The pilot scheme aims to operate in both primary and secondary schools
and the minimum availability for a potential chaplain is two days a
week. The proposed pilot scheme is not just aimed at Cambridgeshire and
may draw on workers/schools around the country. But as one of the people
who is driving this forward from an SU perspective I am keen to see as
many pilots as possible from this area/region. It's exciting that there
is already some interest in the scheme locally but I am keen for others
to have the opportunity to consider possibilities.

I hope the above has given a flavour and if you would like to know more
- I'm sure this will beg lots of questions - please do get in touch.

Steve

Steve Whyatt
Scripture Union Schools
01223 237874

stevew at scriptureunion.org.uk

www.scriptureunion.org.uk <http://www.scriptureunion.org.uk/>

Registered Office  207-209  Queensway  Bletchley  Milton Keynes  MK2 2EB
T 01908 856000  F 01908 856111  E info at scriptureunion.org.uk
Registered Charity 213422 Limited Company 39828 Registered in England
and Wales

3 web based resources to ignite and inspire:

Bible engagement - www.wordlive.org <http://www.wordlive.org/>

School clubs and groups - www.schoolslive.org
<http://www.schoolslive.org/>

Sunday groups - www.lightlive.org <http://www.lightlive.org/>

Scripture Union England & Wales
Registered office: 207-209 Queensway, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK2 2EB
Tel: 01908 856000   Fax: 01908 856111   Web: www.scriptureunion.org.uk
Registered charity: 213422   Limited company: 39828
Registered in England & Wales

This email has been scanned for known viruses using Webroot technologies