[Ely Events] Day of Reflection Caring for God's Earth at Bishop Woodford Hose

Bishop Woodfood House bwh at ely.anglican.org
Wed Aug 6 16:57:33 GMT 2008

Bishop Woodford House

Caring for God’s Earth

Led by Hilary Marlow & Lynda Taylor

Wednesday 27th August

Caring for God’s Earth

Every week as Christians we affirm the goodness of God as ‘maker of heaven
and earth’, yet each week it seems that we read another report or news item
expressing concern about the environment. In our busy lives it is so easy to
lose touch with the rest of God’s creation and to feel bemused or even
overwhelmed by the problems.

This day of reflection will be an opportunity to reconnect with God as
creator and to enjoy his creation in the beautiful gardens of Bishop
Woodford House.  It will be a time for reflecting on the rhythms and seasons
of life - of the natural world as well as our own lives.  We shall explore
the meaning of the incarnation, cross and resurrection and of Christian hope
for the future in the light of environmental issues. Finally, as we review
the effect that human actions have on the world there will be a chance to
reconsider our own lifestyles and respond to God in practical ways.

The day will involve some shared reflection and group discussion. It will
include  time for silent enjoyment of God’s creation, and the opportunity to
pray alone or with others. It will be a day to reconnect with God and with
his world, and to go away renewed and challenged.

Hilary Marlow

Hilary has been interested in natural history (particularly birds) all her
adult life. She has been involved with the Christian conservation charity, A
Rocha, since its beginning, serving as a trustee (1998-2006) and more
recently helping to lead the A Rocha Cambridge members group. Having
completed a PhD on the Old Testament prophets and environmental ethics in
2007, she now works as a research associate in theology and the environment
for the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion in Cambridge. She and her
husband Ian have four adult children and worship at St Barnabas Church,
Cambridge, where she is a member of the PCC.

Lynda Taylor

Lynda’s love of the natural world dates back to childhood when she first
learned the names of local wildflowers and butterflies. Her interest in the
way we learn and use language(s) continued into adulthood where she has
followed a professional and academic career in linguistics and language
education.  She is a member of the local A Rocha Community Group and also of
A Rocha’s UK Regional Team. Lynda and husband Nigel have two daughters in
their twenties and are members of St Andrew’s, Chesterton, where they are
involved in various aspects of the church’s life.

How to Book

Please
<file:///\\System1\c\My%20Documents\2005%20House%20Event%20Leaflets\My%20Doc
umentsBHWwwwpageshowtocontactusatbwh.htm> send us a cheque for £18 per
person payable to Bishop Woodford House, together with the name of the day
of reflection, your name & address and the names of any other people you
wish to book for. If you wish to receive confirmation of your booking please
enclose a SAE. If you are booking within 7 days of the Day of Reflection
please ring us to enquire if there are places still available and if there
are we will provisionally reserve places for you.

Bishop Woodford House Retreat and Conference Centre

Barton Road

Ely

CB7 4DX

Tel: 01353 663039