[Ely Events] Wicken Fete - 30th June

patricia at mathieson.co.uk patricia at mathieson.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 10:25:34 GMT 2007

Dear Editor

This is a quick note to remind you about Wicken's annual fete and dog show,
which is next week - on Saturday 30th June.

It's going to be a really special event: it has a James Bond theme and the
special guest will be "Little Nellie", from the James Bond film "You Only
Live Twice", with her "father", Wing Commander Ken Wallis.

The fete will start at midday with the grand opening by Wing Commander
Wallis, followed by the fete parade, which will feature Wicken Coronation
Band, Soham Fenland Majorettes, Little Nellie, James Bond and one of the
Bond Girls, and a Bond-theme carnival float built by pupils from
Cambridgeshire primary schools.

There's an all-day programme of live entertainment: as well as the
Coronation Band and Soham Majorettes, there will be performances by Poz, the
nationally-known magician, local children's dance groups and girl group
Pulse.  In addition, fete-goers will be able to try out their skill on the 9
metre high Rock2Roll climbing wall - we are told that 120 climbs is
equivalent to Mount Snowdon and 150 to Ben Nevis.

There will also be an expanded selection of stalls offering tombolas,
raffles and a wide range of items for sale, and, for the first time, there
will be a special "Around and About Wicken" area showing off all the local
clubs, societies and attractions such as Wicken Fen National Trust and
Wicken Windmill.

Finally, I have to confess to a big mistake in my last communique about the
fete.  The dog show doesn't, as I thought, offer credits towards Crufts, but
is actually a "Companion Dog Show".  My apologies for any confusion I may
have caused.

We'd welcome members of the press who'd like to attend the fete - if you'd
like to interview Ken Wallis and Little Nellie, please let me know.

 Kind regards

Patricia Mathieson
For Wicken Fete