"Great Debates" Erasmus v Luther

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 24 09:09:30 GMT 2005

BBC Radio 4 Recording of “Great Debates”

Erasmus v Luther

Presenter: Allan Little BBC Paris Correspondent

Great Debates re-stages a very public clash between two heavyweights of the
Reformation: Desiderius Erasmus and Martin Luther.  Join Dr Richard Rex and
Dr David Bagchi as they debate the nature of free will.  Are we ever totally
free to choose our own actions?  If not, can we really be held to account?

Martin Luther is credited with kick-starting the Reformation, Erasmus with
publishing the first Greek-Latin New Testament, the primary text used by
Tyndale to translate the Bible into English for the first time.   Although
Luther and Erasmus admired each other immensely, when Erasmus published an
essay arguing that that humans have to have free choice otherwise they would
be nothing more than automata with someone else pulling the strings, Luther
was incensed and retaliated with “Bondage of the Will” in 1525.   This
debate continues to provoke profound questions about the essence of moral
life.   Are we ever totally free to choose our actions, if not can we really
be held to account?   If we cannot, then as Erasmus argued moral life
disappears – or does it?
The programme will be broadcast on Weds. 11 January 8.02pm on BBC Radio 4

Monday 28th November, 7.00 - 8.15pm (doors open 6.30 pm)
Queen’s Building Auditorium, Emmanuel College, Cambridge
Doors Open: 6.30 p.m.

TICKETS ARE FREE but they need to be booked in advance.
Ticket hotline: 0161 244 3268

Owen Spencer-Thomas
52 Windsor Road
Cambridge