Your week's religious viewing and listening

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Fri May 13 08:10:59 GMT 2005

Your week's religious viewing and listening

BROADCASTING BULLETIN
Saturday 14 May – Friday 20 May 2005

Saturday 14 May

Dr Who  travels back in time to the death of Rose’s father, with one scene
set inside a church.  7pm BBC1

Soul Deep  The second in this 6 part series on black popular music focuses
on Gospel, and features interviews with Ben E King and Solomon Burke.
8.25pm BBC2

Sunday 15 May

Pentecost.  Taking over the Heaven and Earth Show slot this morning is a
service from St Michael’s church in Aberystwyth    10.30am BBC1

Sunday Best: Inside the Harem  This programme questions whether polygamy is,
as the Koran says, a divinely ordained right of men.  1.30pm R4

It’s My Life  A debate focusing on the rapport between religion and today’s
youth.  12.05am (Monday)  ITV1

Essentials of Faith   (1/7) A study of the seven major faiths.  Tonight:
Hinduism.   12.45am (Monday)  ITV1

Tuesday 17 May

The Monastery    The second in this 3 part series follows five men as they
settle into living by the austere rules laid down for the Benedictine monks
at Worth Abbey.  Will they be able to stay the full 40 days and nights??
9pm BBC2

Revelations  A physicist and a nun set out to halt an impending Armageddon.
1/6   10pm  Sky One

Wednesday 18 May

Choral Evensong   This week from the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool.  4pm
R3

The Missionary   Film.  Period comedy starring Michael Palin as the Revd
Charles Fortescue who returns home from Africa to London where he is
assigned to run a shelter for fallen women

 12.10am (Thursday)  Ch4

This list is an attempt to include some of the programmes with a more
obviously religious content.  Simon Kershaw has drawn my attention to a
recent edition of Melvyn Bragg's weekly 'In Our Time' which featured Abelard
and Heloise, which is at least tangentially religious history.   Quite
frequently the programme focuses on religious history or philosophy.

Owen Spencer-Thomas
52 Windsor Road
Cambridge
CB4 3JN