[Ely Announce] Safeguarding Vulnerable - Adults Count on Me

Sarah King sarah.king at ely.anglican.org
Thu Nov 4 10:46:31 GMT 2010

Count on Me
A new group for those willing to get involved with adult safeguarding work

Introductory meeting at the Diocesan Office
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010
7 pm - 9 pm
Chaired by Yvonne Quirk, the Bishop's Safeguarding Adviser

The Diocese of Ely has a well-established and rigorous policy for
safeguarding its children - now it's time to offer the same protective ethos
to adults whose vulnerability puts them at risk. Learning disabilities,
dementia, physical frailty, mental health, damage in adult life that is
rooted in childhood abuse, physical disability and domestic violence  are
just some of the areas of vulnerability we need to look at - you may know of
more. The Diocese currently has no formal Safeguarding Adults Policy as
required by the House of Bishops. This new group will aim for a
comprehensive, common sense approach that steers the difficult course
between paranoia and common sense in providing a safe space and a protective
environment for people who are especially in need. Our first target will be
to agree the scope of the work, and begin to chart a framework of guidance
and support for those who work with vulnerable adults; from this, we can
build our Diocesan Policy.

If you have skills, experience and enthusiasm to offer, and if you want to
be counted in as someone who can help our vulnerable adults to find a voice,
I really look forward to meeting you on November 10th, when coffee and
dessert will be available while we talk. Please pass this on to anyone else
in the Diocese you think would like to be 'counted in'.

I would be grateful if you could let me know if you are able to attend by
e-mailing me at quirky at yvonnecoppard.plus.com

Thanks