[Ely Announce] Swine Flu

Sarah King sarah.king at ely.anglican.org
Thu Jul 23 13:11:25 GMT 2009

In the light of the recommendations issued this morning (23 July 2009) by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York that there should be a suspension of the sharing of the chalice at communion, The Bishop of Ely has offered the following guidance to the Diocese in the interests of public health during the current phase of the H1N1 flu pandemic.

The Revd Michael Goater

Emergency Planning Officer

"As our diocesan guidelines advise, the responsible course of action which we have adopted in the Diocese is to take all reasonable precautions to limit the spread of the H1N1 virus.  Because the progress of the infection in our diocese has been uneven, the nature of these precautions have properly been, and to an extent should remain, a matter of local discretion, having due regard to the advice of central authorities.

"However, in deciding their local response to what is undoubtedly now a more rapid and widespread advance of the virus in our region, I am advising parishes today that they should weigh most seriously the Archbishops' strong recommendation that from this Sunday (26 July 2009) those presiding at Holy Communion should suspend the administration of the chalice during this wave of the pandemic, having regard to the duty of care we owe to the neighbour in our congregations and communities.

"Where parishes wish to continue to offer communion in both kinds, my advice is that from this Sunday (26 July 2009), the presiding minister - and s/he alone - should personally intinct all wafers before placing them in the hand of communicants, a practice which is widely observed in Anglican churches in Africa.   I would strongly advise against placing the intincted wafer in the communicant's mouth, since this risks the spread of infection.

"As the diocesan guidelines remind us, our communicants need to be confident that the clergy and all assistant ministers have followed the guidance on hygiene in this, and, particularly, that ministers' hands should have been washed with the appropriate alcohol-based rub before handling the elements and the vessels.

"The diocesan guidelines also invite parishes to consider their practice when exchanging the peace.   Again in the light of the Archbishops' recommendations, I would urge now that very serious thought be given to the principle of social distancing in minimising the spread of infection by avoiding direct personal contact at the peace and at the church door.

"I shall keep this advice under constant review and ask that you check regularly the guidelines on the diocesan website, which will be updated when required and as quickly as possible to take account of the changing situation.

"Thank you to all of you whose ministry in these confused and troubled times is bringing the love and healing power of Christ to the people of our Diocese."

The Rt Revd Dr Anthony Russell

The Bishop of Ely