[Ely Announce] The Revd Canon Dr John Sweet

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 3 14:17:12 GMT 2009

The Revd Canon Dr John Sweet
As you may have heard, the Revd Canon Dr John Sweet died peacefully at his home yesterday morning.  He will be remembered with considerable affection by the many generations of students and clergy whom he taught during his 51 years at Selwyn College and the University of Cambridge.

He was a person of wide friendship and many were inspired by his teaching, his friendship and his pastoral care; among them the generations of Readers who attended the summer school he ran in Cambridge. His remarkable energy and enthusiasm will be greatly missed by all.

I am sending my deepest sympathy to his wife Mary, his son, Richard, and his two daughters, Alison and Roey.

There will be a funeral in Selwyn College Chapel for family and close friends, followed by a Memorial Service later in the year.

+ Anthony