[Ely Announce] Flood appeal - over £5,000 raised so far

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 17 15:20:03 GMT 2007

Flood appeal - over £5,000 raised so far

Parishes and church members across the diocese have so far raised £5,400 to support people affected by the recent flood damage in the Diocese of Worcester.  This sum, which was donated within the first three weeks following the disaster, has been sent to Worcester Diocesan Office to assist with their response to the flooding and the emergency work undertaken by local churches .

Worcestershire was one area badly affected by the severe July rains.  Local congregations rallied round to give help and some churches opened to provide food and shelter to flood victims, homeless people and stranded motorists.  Some other church buildings were damaged by the flooding.

Bishop Anthony said: "This is a wonderful response which was prompted by some of our parishes who wanted to contribute to the work of the Church in those parts of the country.

"I believed it would be most effective to focus our gifts on one area and, in the wake of Bishop John's recent appointment as the next Bishop of Worcester, I nominated this diocese as the recipient.  Thank you for your prayers and generous support."

The fund will remain open until the early autumn and further gifts may be sent to our Accounts Adminstrator Janice Sulman at the following address:

Diocesan Office,
Bishop Woodford House,
Barton Road,
Ely Cambs CB7 4DX.

Cheques should be made out to Ely DBF (Flood Fund).