[Ely Announce] Pope John Paul II

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 3 08:22:48 GMT 2005

Pope John Paul II

The following statement from the Bishop of Ely was sent to the press and
broadcast media last night:

The Bishop of Ely, Dr Anthony Russell, has expressed his sadness on learning
of the death of His Holiness Pope John Paul II.

Bishop Anthony Russell said: “His Holiness Pope John Paul II was a spiritual
leader of world stature.  He was a man of action and a great Christian
communicator who had a global impact beyond the Vatican.  He earned great
respect for his stand against Poland’s Communist regime.

“During his long reign as Pope, the Papacy has had a more significant role
in the world than it’s ever had before.  He touched the hearts of Roman
Catholics and non-Catholics across the world.

“Last year the senior staff from the Diocese and I visited the Vatican.  It
was a great privilege and a deeply moving occasion to have met the Pope.

“Despite his long-running illness and increasing frailty, he has kept
working with great courage and strength.  He is a man who has given himself
completely to the work of Jesus Christ in the world.

“Together with Christians across the world, we give thanks for the life and
witness of Pope John Paul II.”

Owen Spencer-Thomas
52 Windsor Road
Cambridge