[Ely Announce] Prayers for the Tsunami victims in Asia

Owen Spencer-Thomas owenst at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 29 18:43:21 GMT 2004

I have put together a few prayers which you may find useful as you prepare
for this week’s worship.  This is not an official list, but in the wake of
last Sunday’s disaster I guess it helps to pool our resources.
If you have other more appropriate prayers, perhaps you would email them to
me and I will post them on Ely Announce so they can be shared with the rest
of us.  I shall also be posting some prayers on the Ely diocesan website.
Owen S-T
Prayers for the Tsunami victims in Asia
We pray for those whose lives were lost in the wake of Indian Ocean
earthquake.   We remember those who are dying and pray that they may find
hope and peace as they prepare to pass from this life into the kingdom of
paradise.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We pray for their grieving families, as they strive to understand and to
accept their devastating loss, and especially we pray for the children who
have been orphaned.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We commend to you those who have been injured and especially those still
fighting for their lives – some in hospital, others still unattended.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We pray for rescue workers, nurses, doctors, aid organisations and all those
bringing relief and healing to survivors. Accept our compassion for the
suffering and show us what we can do to share in the task of supporting the
victims of this catastrophe.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We pray for those who have lost everything, their homes, their possessions
and their livelihoods, for those who stand bewildered and destitute in the
aftermath of this tragedy

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We pray for the leaders of those countries devastated by this catastrophe.
Grant them wisdom and courage to pursue what is right for the well-being and
recovery of their nations.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We pray for others directly affected by the horror of these events. Be the
unseen friend beside those who are anxiously awaiting word about the welfare
of their loved ones. As they wait and imagine the worst, comfort them with a
sense of calm and hope.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
We pray for those - like many of us - who are more indirectly affected by
this disaster. As we attend to the continuous, unfolding news accounts, we
look to you in hope and trust, acknowledging that there is much in life
beyond our present understanding.

. Lord, hear us
 "Lord, graciously hear us."
And finally we ask for your comfort to all who suffer and your peace to
those who believe in your name.
Amen.

Prayers
God of goodness and love, we look to you in hope and trust, acknowledging
that there is much in life beyond our present understanding.
Be with those who have survived this disaster, and minister to their needs
of body, mind and spirit.
Heal and help those who are injured; give peace to the dead and dying;
comfort and support the bereaved.
To all those who are working to bring relief and restore order, give
strength and courage that their efforts may become an opportunity to
strengthen the bonds of love and service which bind together people and
nations.
Amen

Holy God we are powerless in so many ways. Help those whom we cannot reach.
Bring comfort to those who seem beyond consoling.

Give us courage to hold fast to our faith and the understanding to recognise
God’s presence among us.  Show us the value of taking one step at a time,
small though it may seem.

Give us courage to trust and to release ourselves to your unfailing love.

Amen

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd,
         I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures;
         he leads me beside still waters;

he restores my soul.
         He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil;
         for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
         you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
         and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long.

Psalm 46

 God is our refuge and strength,
         a very present help in trouble.

 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change,
         though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;

 though its waters roar and foam,
         though the mountains tremble with its tumult.

 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
         the holy habitation of the Most High.

 God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved;
         God will help it when the morning dawns.

Owen Spencer-Thomas
52 Windsor Road
Cambridge
CB4 3JN