Building links with other Churches
The County Ecumenical Officer is a member of the Board for Church In Society. Priscilla Barlow’s task is to encourage and promote all aspects of ecumenism. Her wide brief includes:
- Supporting and resourcing Churches Together (CT) groups and Local Ecumenical Partnerships (LEPs)
- Representing the Council at local, regional and national ecumenical events
- Working with specialist ministries, such as the Churches Media Trust
- Acting as a link with national and regional ecumenical bodies, in particular assisting with the development of regional activities through the East of England Churches Network and Faiths Council
- Liaising with denominational and secular bodies in respect of new housing developments.
- Priscilla Barlow reports to the Cambridgeshire Ecumenical Council, which covers the same geographical area as the Diocese of Ely. Its members represent member churches of Churches Together in England.
The Chair is the Revd Graham Thompson, Chair of the East Anglia Methodist District.
Our ecumenical link diocese is the Diocese of Vellore in the Church of South India.
The Ecumenical Adviser to the Bishop is the Revd Professor David Thompson
The Board currently works to represent and support these areas of social concern:
- Asylum Seekers
- Church Urban Fund
- Churches Regional Forum
- Criminal Justice
- Ely Social Responsibility Forum External website
- Environmental matters
- International charity work
- Local Voluntary Agencies
- People at Work
- Travellers and gypsies
- Working with other churches
- World Mission